Prof. Adeel Chaudhary
CURRENT PROFILE OF PROF. ADEEL CHAUDHARY
- Professor of Human Molecular Biology at Medical Laboratory Technology Department, Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences [FAMS], KAU, Since 2016
- Director for the Center of Innovation in Personalized Medicine [CIPM], KAU since 2017
- Head of the research center bioethics committee registered with national Bioethics board at King Abdulaziz City for Science & Technology [KACST], Riyadh
- Member of King Abdulaziz University academic promotion committee
- Consultant at GenaTi diagnostic services, KAU, since 2019
- Vice dean for Development at Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, 2013-2017
- Assistant vice director King Fahd Medical Research Center, 2012-2014
- Head of Clinical Radiology Department at Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences [FAMS], 2010-2012
- Member of research committee in health sciences at KACST until 2014-2015
- Established Diagnostic Genomic Medicine Unit, KAU, 2003-2008
- Vice-director for Technical Affairs at the Center of Excellence in Genomic Medicine Research [CEGMR], KAU, 2008-2018
After completing PhD in 1999 from the University of Sheffield, UK which focused on developing the first TaqManTM system for allelic differentiation in collaboration with Perkin Elmer, Dr. Adeel played key role in establishing applied genomics research in Saudi Arabia. He contributed to establishing diagnostic Genomic Medicine unit at KAU that went on to becoming a Centre of Excellence in Genomic Medicine Research. All the way from implying automated Sanger sequencing to investigate malignant tumors in 2004 to establishing array CGH for studying intellectual disabilities in 2009; from hosting NGS in 2009 to 10x Genomics in 2019, a dynamic career and professional leadership remained hallmarks of Dr. Adeel. Since 2017, as director of CIPM at KAU, the focus is on restructuring the research groups while steering the previously established units at this centre into proactive diagnostic service providers. IVF and Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis units now provide advanced services in coordination with our first commercial arm GenaTi based at KAU. Keen interest in developing innovative therapeutics implying gene editing, epigenomics, immunomics, 3D bio-printing and tissue engineering, iPSC and gene editing are top priority and this will only be achieved by initiating and sustaining Inter-
institutional multidisciplinary teamwork. Also, supervise undergraduate and MSc as well as national and international PhD students registered with KAU.
PERSONAL RESEARCH AND ACADEMIC INTERESTS:
Principle investigator and co-investigator on several projects addressing autism, intellectual disabilities, targeted drug therapy in Meningeomas, customized chip development for Breast Cancer susceptibility genes, duchenne muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and more recently microcephaly.
Apart from research as a Professor of Human Molecular Genetics; Dr. Adeel continues to deliver his academic responsibilities at the Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, supervise postgraduate students, organize expert lectures, establish PhD program in Medical Laboratory Technology. He successfully hosted first Mawhiba program in coordination with MoE for the extraordinary gifted and talented young Saudi students which later on won ISEF- Intel awards.